Monday, February 11, 2008

De-Nile


Another of the wonderful opportunities i had while living in Europe was to head down to Egypt for 10 days in December 2004. I went the first week of December which was ideal because the weather was great and it was before the big tourist rush that happen right around Christmas. It seems that lots of USA tourists head over to Egypt over xmas to avoid the heat of the summer and that the crowds can get pretty bad. Not so when I was there. I even have a couple pictures of the great pyramids with no other tourists in the shots!
I started out my Egypt tour in Aswan on the Nile river and this picture comes from there. Everyone on the Nile river boat I was on (only 3 English speaks so we had a guide all to ourselves!) took a short ride on a felucca on the Nile to get out to an island that is now a botanical garden though it used to be private. I took this picture on the way out to the island and I think that the geometry of the shot is what appeals to me. I like the way the lines move from the bottom up in an arc. I am noticing even in the few pictures I have posted so far that one of the themes I seem to try to photograph is a part of a whole. Yes, I take wide angle shots and landscapes and the like, but this shot, like the Personification of Faith post, focus in on a small part of a larger scene and lets the viewer fill in the big picture. In looking through my photos I seem to do this a lot. Interesting--I learn something new about myself every day :)

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I love the lines and curves. I can't say why exactly, but it reminds me of the geometry of a chambered nautilus. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I like your perspective.