Friday, March 14, 2008

Winter Wonderland

While teaching in Italy I had the chance to spend spring break with several students doing a service project in Croatia. We spent most of the time working on an outreach project for a local church and it was an interesting experience to say the least. I visited Yugoslavia with my family many years ago (~1980) and much has changed since then. This was the first time that I have been back to a country for the second time, but where the country has changed names! It was interesting to talk with our hosts about changes and what it was like to be living there during the revolution. The church we stayed at was very near Zagreb and there was evidentially quite a bit of fighting in and around that area. We had the chance to take one day and go up into the hills surrounding the area and in February it was definitely still winter there. I like this picture just for the sheer wintery-ness of it. It was beautiful and quiet up in the hills.

No comments: